Marko Tandefelt is a New York based musician, bass player and concept designer, born in Helsinki, Finland on March 30th, 1968, at 6.35pm. Among his interests are: Immersive interactive multisensory cinema, experimental visualization systems, electronic musical instruments, MIDI bass controllers and synths, sensorbased prototyping, crowdsourcing and sustainable electric transportation systems. Marko has worked on pervasive computing, concept design, interactive and industrial visualization projects for companies such as NEC R&D Labs, ESIDesign and Antennadesign/NYC MTA.
He works currently at Eyebeam Art+Technology Center in Chelsea, New York, as the Director of Technology and Research. Among his latest projects has included working on realization of an experimental 3 day hackathon on novel cinematic storytelling methods, New Cinema (newcinema.net) together with the Creators Project/Intel/Vice Magazine, enabling the creation of collaborative projects between feature film directors, world’s leading creative coders, and 3D/SFX people from UK based company Framestore behind Harry Potter/Avatar/Children of Men movies.
Prior to Eyebeam, he worked at the Finnish Cultural Institute in New York as an AV & Media Producer in a large scale touring international exhibition Eero Saarinen: Shaping the Future (www.eerosaarinen.net), as a Project Director and Curator of “SAUMA: Design as Cultural Interface” (www.saumadesign.net) and “F2F: New Media Art from Finland” (www.f2fmedia.net) exhibitions. Since 2001, he has taught Masters level Physical Computing and Thesis Studio courses at Parsons The New School for Design MFA Design Technology program. His students have won numerous leading international design/media and art awards, such as Ars Electronica Golden Nica, Red Dot, IF, AIGA, Adobe Web Design, Golden Web, Cologne Design Award, Nokia Mindtrek, Good Design Award, and Future Everything Award, to name a few.
Marko holds a B.M. degree Summa Cum Laude in Music Technology from NYU, a Master’s degree from NYU Tisch School of the Arts Film & TV School Interactive Telecommunications Program ITP. He is a longtime member of ACM, AES, IEEE, SIGGRAPH, SMPTE and SPIE, and a lifetime member of Pi Kappa Lambda, national music honor society. Most recently, Marko has been developing an immersive interactive multisensory 3D cinema capturing and playback system, a patent related to refridgerator technologies and a book project related to electric vehicles.
Marko is very passionate about electronic music and plays 5 string MIDI synth bass controllers, Korg Kronos 88X workstation, Access Virus TI2 and Moog Taurus III bass synth in electronic music projects in NYC. He has worked and recorded in NYC based recording studios, including Kraftwerk/Depeche Mode producer / DJ Francois Kevorkian’s Axis. Latest band he has been playing synth bass in 2010-2012 is VARICK.
LATEST: MAR 2013
- About to head to Helsinki for Spring break to visit my family, Parsons MFADT students working hard on their final thesis projects. Very much looking forward to a key Eyebeam event, FatLab, which gathers key creative coders/artists/designers from all over the world back to Eyebeam!
- Been filing FEMA grants, and new project grants for Eyebeam, hard work, but very excited
- Working on bass playing, electronic music, equally excited.
- My Mother just won the Finnish Oscar, “Jussi” Statue for best supporting actress in the film Purge in which she was acting as the main characters older self. Way to go Mom!!!
- My mother is acting the lead in movie “Purge”, based on Sofi Oksanen’s widely translated novel, was in Cannes and Busan Film festival in 2012, and… became Finland’s entry to Best Foreign Film OSCARs in 2013! It is sold by Nordisk Film which distributes Lars Von Trier among others. The film is quite grueling and violent, but justified, dealing with a rarely touched subject. It has been hailed by critics and audiences. Purge’s director Antti Jokinen is a great sensitive director, on a career upswing moving towards larger and larger epic productions. Link to Nordisk Film’s trailer here: PURGE. Link to a Youtube trailer with English tiles here PURGE. I have to say.. Way to go, Mom and Finland!!!
- Spending well deserved time after Sandy recovery (dealing with damage caused by 3.5ft of water at Eyebeam) with family in Helsinki, Finland, ready for new challenges.
- My Parsons MFADT students great projects in the Parsons MFADT Design & Technology 2012 Masters Thesis Exhibition.
- 20 years from the death of Miles Davis.. I was lucky to see him 4 times, three times in Helsinki, once in Paris.. maybe the best concert I have ever seen, along with Peter Gabriel. Check out Guardian.co.uk blog and find out what he said to Nancy Reagan in White House..
- Funny and a bit bluesy also… located an old email I have sent to Steve Jobs at NEXT in 1997, related to his return as well as very specific, idealistic, possibly a bit naive feature requests related to.. future laptop products… interestingly, became more or less reality, except the 3D autostereo screens, which are only now finally starting to become good enough to be used. Apple has definitely had all kinds of approaches towards 3D desktops and navigation. I have a very very strong hunch that the direction is set inside the company towards something explosive, and very radical in this area, way way before others, considering all the Apple patents I have seen. Naturally, a lot has happened in display as well as tracking area since then.. Anyway
From: email@example.com (Marko Tandefelt)
Subject: future Cc: Bcc: X-Attachments:
From: Marko A. Tandefelt
157-159 East 32nd Street, Apt 10A
New York, NY 10016 212-779-0381
Dear Mr. Jobs,
I am a loyal Mac user. My name is Marko Tandefelt. I am delighted to notice that you are back, bringing the spark where it belongs. Anyway,
I think that Apple should, once more, stretch the limits between portable objects/desktops and design a real High-End (a relative term) PRO PowerBook for multimedia, music and video production with:
- Next level in display technology and Aesthetics: Display should be: larger TFT LCD 13-14″ 16:9 & 2:1 HDTV ratios should be considered (Sharp is going to the right direction with their Widenotebook)
- A new 3D-LCD TFT from Sharp or Sanyo: a lenticular stereoscopic 3D-LCD screen with a new fully 3D desktop, not just regular pseudo 3D/2D! This is the main issue which will differentiate Apple from all the rest in the near future.
- DVD w/ Dolby AC3 surround sound, MPEG II, – built-in miniature color camera for conferencing, (Samsung, etc) – A Zip, optional Jaz (drive detachable, usable in other computers) Impossible? no!, nothing is. Apple has to be No. 1, not just to get “back” into business with products like the Powerbook 1400 “Epic” and the Powerbook 3400 “Hooper”.
People will pay extra for real quality, personality, uniqueness, real futuristic design, values, sturdyness, materials (METALS, carbon fibre etc.) and the leading edge performance.
GA, NYU ITP Interactive Telecommunications Program”
- I got promoted to the position of Director of Technology and Research at Eyebeam Art+Technology Center, very excited and working hard for Eyebeam’s future, infrastructure grants and large new exhibition, hackathon and collaboration projects.
- Back from Helsinki, brand new ICSID Design Capital of the World, nice christmas and new year there with family.
- In the middle of Eyebeam Residency and Fellowship application process, about to start teaching Parsons MFADT Spring 2012 Thesis Studio, full class, rehearsing with my band, about to go for first gigs (super excited!).
- Finished a sustainability/transportation related book proposal as a Production Editor/Concept Developer/translator with the Finnish eCars Now! team.
- Back from my family’s reindeer ranch in Finnish Lapland/Inari (no electricity, no running water).
- Finished AV consultation for a Finnish Video/Photography exhibition BODIES, BORDERS, CROSSINGS at Lower Manhattan Cultural Council’s 110 Space in Governor’s Island, exhibition was open until end of July.
- Installation of a large scale sonic arts exhibition BIORHYTHM together with the great people from Science Gallery Dublin. Exhibition has received great coverage in New York Media/Press/blogs and TV. Links to TV reports here: NBCNEWS, ABCNEWS, NY1 NEWS ADAM BALKIN and REUTERS.
- Finnish to English translation of a newly published book “MAKE: Arduino Bots and Gadgets” for O’Reilly
- With Stefani Bardin at Eyebeam: M2A tm: The Fantastic Voyage, immersive installation and scientific protocol repurposing wireless gastroenterology devices
- Masters Thesis Studio II at Parsons the New School for Design / School of Art, Media & Technology / Design & Technology Program
- U.S. Patent application development on refrigerator related technology