Marko Tandefelt is a New York based musician, bass player and concept designer, born in Helsinki, Finland on March 30th, 1968, at 6.35pm. Among his interests are: Immersive interactive multisensory cinema, experimental visualization systems, electronic musical instruments, MIDI bass controllers and synths, sensorbased prototyping, crowdsourcing and sustainable electric transportation systems. Marko has worked on pervasive computing, concept design, interactive and industrial visualization projects for companies such as NEC R&D Labs, ESIDesign and Antennadesign/NYC MTA.
He works at Eyebeam Art+Technology Center in Chelsea, New York as the Director of Technology and Research, where he is charge of practical and conceptual implementations of technology in wider creative processes, artist’s practice and exhibitions, as well as the organization’s research future. He has been in charge of audiovisual realization of large exhibitions such as: Source Code, Interference, ReGroup: Beyond Models of Consensus, Biorhythm, Surface Tension: Future of Water, Untethered, Tourists and Travelers, X-LAB, Feedback Ecovisualization exhibition and Postgravity Art Syntapiens to name a few (for more, see under “Exhibitions).
Among his most recent projects is an experimental 3 day hackathon on novel cinematic storytelling methods, New Cinema (newcinema.net) together with the Creators Project/Intel/Vice Magazine, enabling the creation of collaborative projects between feature film directors, world’s leading creative coders, and 3D/SFX people from UK based company Framestore, behind visual effects for Harry Potter, Avatar, Children of Men and Gravity movies.
Prior to Eyebeam, he worked at the Finnish Cultural Institute in New York as an AV & Media Producer in a large scale touring international exhibition Eero Saarinen: Shaping the Future (www.eerosaarinen.net), as a Project Director and Curator of “SAUMA: Design as Cultural Interface” and “F2F: New Media Art from Finland” exhibitions. Since 2001, he has taught Masters level Physical Computing and Thesis Studio courses at Parsons The New School for Design MFA Design Technology program. His students have won numerous leading international design/media and art awards, such as Ars Electronica Golden Nica, Red Dot, IF, AIGA, Adobe Web Design, Golden Web, Cologne Design Award, Nokia Mindtrek, Good Design Award, and Future Everything Award, to name a few.
Marko holds a B.M. degree Summa Cum Laude in Music Technology from NYU, a Master’s degree from NYU Tisch School of the Arts Film & TV School Interactive Telecommunications Program ITP. He is a longtime member of ACM, AES, IEEE, SIGGRAPH, SMPTE and SPIE, and a lifetime member of Pi Kappa Lambda, national music honor society. Most recently, Marko has been developing an immersive interactive multisensory 3D cinema capturing and playback system, a patent related to refridgerator technologies and a book project related to electric vehicles.
Marko is very passionate about electronic music and plays 5 string MIDI synth bass controllers, Korg Kronos 88X workstation, Access Virus TI2 and Moog Taurus III bass synth in electronic music projects in NYC. He has worked and recorded in NYC based recording studios, including Kraftwerk/Depeche Mode producer / DJ Francois Kevorkian’s Axis. Latest band he has been playing synth bass in 2010-2012 is Varick.
LATEST: FEB 2014
- Our dear Eyebeam got sold.. quite sad.. Long history in the building, and it appears the building was a movie studio in 30s/40s among other things.. But, luckily we also won an RFP call with NYC to be next to Brooklyn Academy of Music, in a new building starting in 2016, currently in the middle of interior design with a great architectural company. Majorly.. exciting in so many levels, while my daily commute will become longer. Before the building becomes ready, we will be in a temporary location in Brooklyn, preparing for the move and a final party at Eyebeam..
- About to participate in a hackathon on Spike Jonze movie “Her”, consulted a bit on it for Microsoft.. a resonant subject matter, especially as the movie is not centrally about technology.
- A very talented ex student of mine Bree Rubin created a great portrait, captured some things I love, sparks, orange, bass/musical instruments, experimentation
- My Parsons MFADT students graduated, among one of the best thesis exhibitions during my teaching at Parsons. The MFADT thesis exhibition site for the entire MFADT class of 2013 is HERE. My students thesis projects are HERE.
- About to fly to Helsinki, Finland and my family’s reindeer ranch house in the north, very happy..
- We setup an amazing installation at Eyebeam, by great Finnish video artist Lauri Astala, “On Dissappearance“, as well as Video Dumbo exhibition, curated by Caspar Stracke and Gabriela Monroy
- Legendary Monkeytown restaurant has its 3.0 version at Eyebeam, great video art and food by leading gourmet chefs.. !
- About to head to Helsinki for Spring break to visit my family, Parsons MFADT students working hard on their final thesis projects. Very much looking forward to a key Eyebeam event, FatLab, which gathers key creative coders/artists/designers from all over the world back to Eyebeam!
- Been filing FEMA grants, and new project grants for Eyebeam, hard work, but very excited.
- Working on bass playing, electronic music, equally excited.
- My Mother just won the Finnish Lifetime Oscar, “Concrete Jussi” Statue for best supporting actress in the film Purge in which she was acting as the main characters older self. Way to go Mom !!!
- My mother is acting the lead in movie “Purge”, based on Sofi Oksanen’s widely translated novel, was in Cannes and Busan Film festival in 2012, and… became Finland’s entry to Best Foreign Film OSCARs in 2013! It is sold by Nordisk Film which distributes Lars Von Trier among others. The film is quite grueling and violent, but justified, dealing with a rarely touched subject. It has been hailed by critics and audiences. Purge’s director Antti Jokinen is a great sensitive director, on a career upswing moving towards larger and larger epic productions. Link to Nordisk Film’s trailer here: PURGE. Link to a Youtube trailer with English tiles here PURGE. I have to say.. Way to go, Mom and Finland!!!
- Spending well deserved time off after Sandy recovery (dealing with damage caused by 3.5ft of water at Eyebeam) with family in Helsinki, Finland, ready for new challenges.
- My Parsons MFADT students great projects in the Parsons MFADT Design & Technology 2012 Masters Thesis Exhibition.
- 20 years from the death of Miles Davis.. I was lucky to see him 4 times, three times in Helsinki, once in Paris.. maybe the best concert I have ever seen, along with Peter Gabriel. Check out Guardian.co.uk blog and find out what he said to Nancy Reagan in White House..
- Funny and a bit bluesy also… I located an old email I have sent to Steve Jobs at NEXT in 1997, congratulating him on his return to Apple, as well as sending him specific, possibly a bit idealistic/naive feature requests related to.. future laptop products… the features became more or less a reality, except autostereo 3D screens, which are only now finally becoming usable in sufficient resolution. I have a strong hunch that Apple is working towards something quite radical, in area of screen/camera/gesture detection, considering all the Apple patents I have seen
From: email@example.com (Marko Tandefelt)
Subject: future Cc: Bcc: X-Attachments:
From: Marko A. Tandefelt
157-159 East 32nd Street, Apt 10A
New York, NY 10016 212-779-0381
Dear Mr. Jobs,
I am a loyal Mac user. My name is Marko Tandefelt. I am delighted to notice that you are back, bringing the spark where it belongs. Anyway,
I think that Apple should, once more, stretch the limits between portable objects/desktops and design a real High-End (a relative term) PRO PowerBook for multimedia, music and video production with:
- Next level in display technology and Aesthetics: Display should be: larger TFT LCD 13-14″ 16:9 & 2:1 HDTV ratios should be considered (Sharp is going to the right direction with their Widenotebook)
- A new 3D-LCD TFT from Sharp or Sanyo: a lenticular stereoscopic 3D-LCD screen with a new fully 3D desktop, not just regular pseudo 3D/2D! This is the main issue which will differentiate Apple from all the rest in the near future.
- DVD w/ Dolby AC3 surround sound, MPEG II, – built-in miniature color camera for conferencing, (Samsung, etc) – A Zip, optional Jaz (drive detachable, usable in other computers) Impossible? no!, nothing is. Apple has to be No. 1, not just to get “back” into business with products like the Powerbook 1400 “Epic” and the Powerbook 3400 “Hooper”.
People will pay extra for real quality, personality, uniqueness, real futuristic design, values, sturdyness, materials (METALS, carbon fibre etc.) and the leading edge performance.
GA, NYU ITP Interactive Telecommunications Program”
- I got promoted to the position of Director of Technology and Research at Eyebeam Art+Technology Center, very excited and working hard for Eyebeam’s future, infrastructure grants and large new exhibition, hackathon and collaboration projects.
- Back from Helsinki, brand new ICSID Design Capital of the World, nice christmas and new year there with family.
- In the middle of Eyebeam Residency and Fellowship application process, about to start teaching Parsons MFADT Spring 2012 Thesis Studio, full class, rehearsing with my band, about to go for first gigs (super excited!).
- Finished a sustainability/transportation related book proposal as a Production Editor/Concept Developer/translator with the Finnish eCars Now! team.
- Back from my family’s reindeer ranch in Finnish Lapland/Inari (no electricity, no running water).
- Finished AV consultation for a Finnish Video/Photography exhibition BODIES, BORDERS, CROSSINGS at Lower Manhattan Cultural Council’s 110 Space in Governor’s Island, exhibition was open until end of July.
- Installation of a large scale sonic arts exhibition BIORHYTHM together with the great people from Science Gallery Dublin. Exhibition has received great coverage in New York Media/Press/blogs and TV. Links to TV reports here: NBCNEWS, ABCNEWS, NY1 NEWS ADAM BALKIN and REUTERS.
- Finnish to English translation of a newly published book “MAKE: Arduino Bots and Gadgets” for O’Reilly
- With Stefani Bardin at Eyebeam: M2A tm: The Fantastic Voyage, immersive installation and scientific protocol repurposing wireless gastroenterology devices
- Masters Thesis Studio II at Parsons the New School for Design / School of Art, Media & Technology / Design & Technology Program
- U.S. Patent application development on refrigerator related technology